March 23, 2008

Obama's got balls

I watched Obama's speech because my friend told me his grandfather, a Hillary supporter, decided to change his vote to Obama upon hearing the thing. I was pleased. Obama avoided convulsive political rhetoric and starkly addressed American race relations. There is resentment amongst blacks, whites and all minorities, he said, and though the resentment is rarely as visible in the public sphere as it once was, it remains a commanding issue in American society and politics.

Took some balls to do that.

The speech was on my mind when I visited my parents for the Easter holiday. I asked them what they thought of it, and was disappointed to find neither had seen Obama speak. I was surprised to realize the contrast between and my parents and I's political engagement. They vote, yes, but don't watch the news channels and take a stance on every issue that develops in politics. They know the major stuff but don't pay attention to the little things that I find important.

But I just figured out why this is--I'm a political cartoonist, dummy. [slaps forehead]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.