March 11, 2008

Art students.

An art student girl wrote a letter to the editor today in the Diamondback. She said my cartoon, Nut Butter, sucks. She can say what she wants about the jokes being poor, but when she attacks the art, saying "his comics are poorly drawn," that boils the blood. My experiences with the art students here at the University of Maryland is that most of them are full of art theory bullshit and don't cut it when they bring pencil to paper. So here's my stab at giving a miserable art girl what's coming.




And a note to add, this Laura Cooke character has long-time beef with the Diamondback cartoons, as documented by her comments in the "Fuck the Diamondback" facebook group. Her sole contribution to the group's message board, which largely lambasts the paper for poor reporting and sensationalism, was this:

Laura Cooke wrote
at 9:21am on December 14th, 2007
You guys forgot to mention the revolting monstrosity that are the comics.

Way to go Laura, you've had your say, now here's mine: College won't last forever, and soon you won't be paying the salary of tenured art professors who give you encouraging remarks about your mediocre paintings. Enjoy your fake little world, it will be over soon.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

beedogs = hilarious. you should thank her for having such a ridiculous hobby to make fun of

Anonymous said...

This was on beedogs.com-
"Beedogs.com was conceived and created by Gina Zycher (me). The idea, unlike many of my other ideas, became a reality in August 2005."

Way to do your research, genius.

Mike O'Brien said...

looks like a certain someone reads my blog. Don't go thinking I think you're clever enough to conceive a site like beedogs, Laura. I'm no dummy. HTML is difficult for delusional-public-university-art-student-girl to learn.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to somehow let Mike know that his comic and sudoku are the only reason I pick up the Diamondback on campus. His comic in today's paper alludes to him 'retiring' from the Diamondback and if this turns out to be true I just wanted to let it be known that I personally think Mike's comics are awesome. Those a-holes who forgot about what we learned in kindergarten, 'if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all' can go eff themselves.

Mike O'Brien said...

I appreciate the appreciation, anonymous, but I'd be careful with the way you're saying things. The "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" is a nice sentiment, but then you told everyone who forgot about that to "go eff themselves." I know I'm being nit-picky, but you essentially just told yourself to go eff yourself.

But that's ok, at least you didn't grasp at the smallest detail of my cartoon, bee dogs, that only a certain Laura Cooke would recognize as pertaining to herself and then come onto my site and suggest I don't understand how the internet works.
Further humiliating Miss Cooke, she sent a second letter to the Diamondback after my "cute-but-delusional-public-university-art-student girl" that essentially said the same thing as her comment on this board, but with one major difference--at the end of her flustered rant she noted something to the degree of "I am, however, flattered, that Mr. O'Brien thinks I am cute." Out the door went the weight of her argument with that single statement. Perhaps it was a sarcastic jab or an attempt at wit, but subtlety simply does not work in this instance and was pretty typical of what Miss Cooke's rhetoric has to offer. Slam.

Anonymous said...

i think shes just tryna get into your pants.

-Kunj