March 21, 2008

Done-skey


This here is the last Nut Butter. I'm quitting the comic strip gig so I can do more stuff, like draw better editorial toons, illustrate and self-publish comics books, animate and build websites. It's bad timing, though, because a recent set of letters published in the Diamondback angrily called for me to "get the hell off my features page" as one girl put it. I've been doing this business for two years now and my work was reflecting a growing disinterest in the comic strip--I was getting lazy and too comfortable with it. It was more like a job I'd half-ass than a fun activity anymore, so things were getting crappy.

However, I noticed this before the recent letters to the editor, so I don't want anyone thinking that I quit because of their rhetoric. I've been gearing to quit for about three weeks now, and was waiting for the Diamondback's editor in chief to find me a replacement. This ain't an excuse for crappy comics, just an explanation, because I don't want any of the "I know what I'm talking about, I'll write a letter to the editor" people getting uppity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hehe. I wrote that letter.

Apparently Stacia Cosner was so delighted and amused that she hung my letter on her fridge, and then basically told me what you said here. I think you're talented, I'm aware that I'm ridiculous, and I think I've gotta stop writing in to the Diamondback because I don't exactly have the utmost respect for the majority of letters that come in and my letters ain't all that much better. Also the bastards always cut my run-on sentences. We can't have that.

-Rebecca Ogle
burnt out from the semester, found you on NFC