July 9, 2008

wacom-generated editorial cartoon


This here is my first go at a cartoon created completely on my computer. I am very happy with the art, because it achieves the sketchy "luckovichian" style I've been striving towards for a while now. It also pisses me off a little that I haven't been able do do this with traditional pen and ink. It means i'm a pussy in the physical world. I wouldn't take risks with pen and ink for fear of the tedious touch-ups and re-dos I'd have to do if I made mistakes. None of that with the wacom tablet--I screw up as much as I want and just erase over whatever's wrong. It's wonderful, but again, an unwanted reminder of my pussyness.

What with that, I'm not sure this cartoon is a good one for the message it sends. I think you have to be too much inside my head to get at the bigger idea I want to portray. Seeing as most viewers aren't telepathic, this cartoon will likely bomb.

Whatever.


Wait...one more thought. Handwriting is a bitch on the wacom.

4 comments:

Matt D. said...

Very cool, Mike! I love editorial cartoons and this one is spot on!

So what do you think is the difference in being able to do it on the computer but not on paper?

Matt D.

Mike O'Brien said...

Reduced inhibitions, I suppose. The ability to build an image layer-by-layer (rough sketch, then final outlines, shading, lettering) which contributes to greater compositional experimentation. As well as the virtual capacity to have any pen tip size I desire.
But most of all just don't have to worry about a mess-up wasting a ton of time, so my final product ends up more polished.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I just stumbled across your blog.

Are you using a Wacom Bamboo?

If so, is that all you used to make that comic? Or did you use Photoshop/Illustrator/Corel as well?

Thanks!

Unknown said...

I drew a bunch of cartoons last semester using a wacom tablet before returning to pen and ink. as I see it,

pros of wacom are:

- it's easier if i'm already going to be adding color/gray in photoshop
- eliminates need for scanner
- being able to draw while at coffeeshops and bars (this is of course the biggest perk)
- getting mad props on my "bionic drawing pad" if i'm out places

cons of wacom include:

- lettering and borders are a pain
- inferior line quality (trying to replicate my pen/brushwork takes forever)
- having to zoom in 100%-200% to do detail work (which on a macbook screen means seeing only a fraction of the image at a time)

eventually i realized that i was simplifying my art and dumbing down my writing to fit those limitations, so i had to go back to my tried-and-true caveman methods.

hope you figured it out since July. -BR